Volunteer with For Otis Sake Rescue
Volunteers and fosters are the lifeblood of our organization. Without their support, we would not be able to rescue, rehabilitate, and rehome as many animals as we do.
Volunteering is taking action… Volunteering is changing lives.
We hope you will consider joining For Otis Sake, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization since 2014, in its mission to rescue, rehabilitate and rehome dogs from high kill shelters and animal control facilities across the US.
For Otis Sake has seen tremendous growth over the past two years due in no small part to the hard work and dedication of its fosters, volunteers, adopters, donors, and every other individual that stands behind and supports the organization. In the past two years, over 380 pets have been rescued from across 10 states and over 250 have been adopted out to loving families, but there is still much work to be done. As a volunteer run organization, we need YOU!
Be the voice for those that have none, until they all have a home!
For Otis Sake is a volunteer only organization and utilizes them for most aspects of its operation. The following information outlines broad categories of volunteer activities but is not an exhaustive list of all needs. If you have a specific skill, passion, or interest, please be sure to let For Otis Sake team members know so that they can best match your work to them.
- Fostering - See detailed information on Foster FAQ page or view more info below.
- Home Visits - Visit potential homes to ensure that animals will receive the training and care they need to flourish
- Transport - Transport animals to/from fosters/boarding facilities/vet appointments/events and support transport events by walking/watering animals.
- Adoption Events - Help facilitate adoption events by handling dogs, meeting with potential adopters, answering questions about the FOS adoption process and performing other miscellaneous tasks needed to run an adoption event.
- Special Events - Attend special events and provide assistance as needed (setting up event, selling FOS merchandise, serving refreshments, etc.)
- Fundraising - Help coordinate fundraising activities and sell tickets or other items associated with fundraising efforts (FOS merchandise, raffle tickets, event tickets, etc.) and/or solicit donations from local businesses and organizations as needed.
- Marketing/PR - Help spread the word about the For Otis Sake rescue, its events, activities, and fundraisers through various outlets (mailings, email, social media tools, posters, etc.)
If you are interested in volunteering with For Otis Sake please complete the volunteer application and select the activities that most interest you or that you have experience doing. Submit your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Upon receipt of your completed application, you will be notified of upcoming volunteer orientations. Specifics regarding each type of volunteer activity will be discussed further at these meetings. Depending upon the activities you choose, additional training may be recommended/required.
Since For Otis Sake does not have a facility to house rescued dogs, we rely entirely on fosters to fill the gap between rescue and adoption. The information below will help you understand the role of a foster and why they are so important. We hope you will consider being a rescue animal’s hero.
When you foster, you agree to take a homeless animal into your home and give him or her love, care and attention either for a predetermined length of time or until the dog is adopted. For Otis Sake fosters also accompany their animals to adoption events, meet and greets, and other adoption opportunities.
Some rescue groups (like For Otis Sake) don’t have a physical shelter and depend on foster homes to care for animals until suitable homes are found.
A rescued animal may be too young to be adopted and needs a safe place to stay until he/she is old enough to go to a forever home.
A rescued animal may be recovering from surgery, illness, or other medical issues and needs a safe place to recuperate.
A rescued animal may not have lived in a home before and may not have had much contact with people and needs to be socialized.
Fostering is one of the most rewarding experiences you can have (next to adopting, of course). By fostering an animal in need, temporarily into your home, you are:
Freeing up space in a shelter.
Giving your foster animal the time he/she needs to be ready for adoption.
Helping the rescue learn more about the animal so he/she can end up in the best home possible.
Socializing the animal to a home environment and possibly getting him/her used to being around other pets and different types of people
If you are interested in learning more, go to our Foster FAQ
page for more information. If you would like to become a foster family, please fill out the For Otis Sake Volunteer
and/or Foster application
All foster applications are reviewed by For Otis Sake team members.
If you are approved, For Otis Sake will work with you to figure out the right foster animal for your household.